Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

My God is your God
iggy Posted: Thu Jan 29 23:54:40 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  read this in iviews.com
hope this will be enlightening to people in here.

My God Is Your God

By: John Kearney
New York Times* -

Sunday is one of the most important holidays in Islam: Id al-Adha, the feast celebrating Abraham's faith and willingness to sacrifice his son to God. It would also be a good occasion for the American news media to dispense with Allah and commit themselves to God.

Here's what I mean: Abraham, the ur-monotheist, represents the shared history, and shared God, of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Many Christians and Jews are aware of this common past, but seem to have a tough time internalizing it. Lt. Gen. William Boykin, a deputy under secretary of defense, made headlines last year suggesting that Allah is not "a real God" and that Muslims worship an idol. Last month in Israel, Pat Robertson said that today's world conflicts concern "whether Hubal, the moon god of Mecca known as Allah, is supreme, or whether the Judeo-Christian Jehovah, God of the Bible, is supreme."

Never mind that Hubal was actually a pre-Islamic pagan god that Muhammad rejected. Mr. Robertson's comments, like those of General Boykin, illuminate a widespread misconception - one that the news media has inadvertently helped to promote.

So here's a suggestion: when journalists write about Muslims, or translate from Arabic, Urdu, Farsi or other languages, they should translate "Allah" as "God," too. A minor point? Perhaps not.

Last August the Washington Post Web site posed this question to readers: "Do you think that Muslims, Christians and Jews all pray to the same God?" One Muslim respondent wrote yes, each of the three major monotheistic faiths "pray to the God of Abraham."

Christian respondents, however, were equivocal or hostile to the notion. "Jews pray to Yahweh," one Virginia woman wrote. "As a Christian, I pray to the same God." But she insisted that "Muslims pray to Allah. Allah is not the God of Abraham." This woman might be surprised that Christian Arabs use "Allah" for God, as do Arabic-speaking Jews.

In Aramaic, the language of Jesus, God is "Allaha," just a syllable away from Allah.

Still, who can blame her? Earlier that month, NPR reported Palestinian demonstrators in Gaza City intoning, "there is no God but Allah." Last week, The Los Angeles Times mentioned mourners for a slain Baghdad professor reciting, "there is no God but Allah" at the university campus. In September, The New York Times reported an assassinated Palestinian uttering, "there is no God but Allah" before he died.

"There is no god but God" is the first of Islam's five pillars. It is Muhammad's refutation of polytheism. Yet to today's non-Muslims, the locution "there is no God but Allah" reads as an affront, a declaration that inflammatory Allah trumps the Biblical God. This journalistic rendition distorts the meaning of the Muslim confession of faith.

Of course, there are distinctions to be made between religions, which the press shouldn't shy away from. But there is no need to augment these differences artificially, especially at the cost of an accurate understanding of the origins of the Abrahamic faiths.

John Kearney is a student at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism

Source: New York Times

iggy Posted: Fri Jan 30 00:01:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "Christian respondents, however, were equivocal or hostile to the notion. "Jews pray to Yahweh," one Virginia woman wrote. "As a Christian, I pray to the same God." But she insisted that "Muslims pray to Allah. Allah is not the God of Abraham." This woman might be surprised that Christian Arabs use "Allah" for God, as do Arabic-speaking Jews."

that's the problem i have with most christians. that the notion of their God is bigger than other faiths.

when i talk to my muslim friends about religion, we share about our faiths, to make us more understading of our religions. in fact, we see each other as brothers. it's only a difference in names and the messenger.

u use internet explorer, i use netscape navigator, some uses mozilla, safari etc.
does that make any of us lesser netizens at all?

some people just don't like using the internet at all. does that make them any less defective as a human than those who use the internet?

just my 2 cents... as usual

iggy Posted: Fri Jan 30 00:09:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  those that would like to know how to pronouce Jesus Christ in Aramaic.
i went thru my stuff and found this.

Pronouncing the name of Jesus in the Aramaic language.
------------------------------------
Atheists and many non-Christians are affronted by the name of Jesus, and now by the name of God also. For Christians God is also called Lord. Although there are some sects that say Jesus is not God, the mainstream Christian churches hold that Jesus Christ is God.

Jesus Christ in the Ancient Aramaic language is pronounced:

Ea-shoa' M'shee-kha

Eashoa' means, "the Life-Giver."

Msheekha means, "the Anointed One."

Eashoa' Msheekha: The Anointed Life-Giver.

Many visitors to this website e-mail me about the use of the name Jesus Christ. They say why do you use the English designations when the true name of Jesus is "Eashoa" and Christ is "The Anointed One." Some of the people e-mailing me prefer the spelling "Yeshua." And there are some other variations, but none of these are accurate transliterations. I prefer my own transliteration: Eashoa'.

The name of Christ comes from the Greek word for "anointed." The Greek word "Khristos" comes from the word for "oil." The English language is based on the Latin, which in turn is based on the Greek. The word "Msheekhah" is the original word for "The Anointed."

Another good choice for "Christ" is the Messiah -- again from "Msheekhah." The same word in all the languages, designating Jesus as the Messiah prophesied by the Old Testament.

Mesh Posted: Fri Jan 30 00:12:19 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:

>just my 2 cents... as usual

And it is much valued:)

I agree. Those three religions share the same roots. Have a common bond.

Also, I think a lot of christians would be surprised if they found out how jesus is looked upon in Islam.

iggy Posted: Fri Jan 30 00:17:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  aye. Jesus was look upon as on the the great prophets. in the koran, it was written that he did not die because Allah did not want him to suffer such a humiliation and took him up to the heavens where he will return one day again.

it's a shame that many of the religious leaders now are using religions as a tool to control the masses.

baaa... all blind sheep

iggy Posted: Fri Jan 30 00:42:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Lost in the Translation: Bible Copyright

They recently discovered a smaller scroll hidden in the cylinder of the first scroll of the ancient Biblical scriptures, believed to be the actual "first page" of the Bible. When deciphered, it read:

"Copyright (c) 300 B.C. God. All Rights Reserved First scrawling First-Sunrise-After-Stonehenge-Keystone- Is-Shadowed, 300 B.C.

All beings, places and events depicted in this work are fictional, and any resemblance to actual beings, places and events past, present or future is purely coincidental.

WARNING: Some of the actions performed in this work are dangerous and should only be attempted by professionals familiar with the action in question.

NOTE: Those tiny points of light in the sky when it gets dark are called 'stars'. Some of them do blow up on occasion. In no way should this be construed as a sign that there is, beneath such an explosion, any form of saviour. Should such a misconstrual happen, the author will not be held responsible for the avalanche of arrogance, zeal, bigotry, humanocentricity and other vile acts which will surely follow the residents of the planet into time eternal until someone sees fit to erase the denizens of the world and let the author start over.

trogdor57 Posted: Mon Feb 2 07:28:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thanx, man. I do sometimes forget that muslims and jews along with christians believe in the same God. The only difference is the mode of belief. I suppose that's the only reason I don't agree with muslims is that they have some stuff in the Koran that is against what I'm taught at church, the main being that Jesus is a prophet. Nonetheless, I don't hate them, as some of you may be lead to think.

addi Posted: Mon Feb 2 07:45:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  trogdor57 said:
Nonetheless, I don't hate them, as some of you may be lead to think.

For what's it's worth, Trogdor I don't think you hate anybody; muslims, gays, atheistic GTer's, etc.
I do disagree with you on your religious stances and think you're misguided on a few matters, but you're not a hater.

Amish Mobster Posted: Mon Mar 22 21:22:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I never really understood the whole "my god is beter" thing. I grew up in a house where we didn't have a ton of religion. So it was kind of a shock to me when i moved to a mostly catholic town and started school there. I've learned a lot of things about christians and i still dont understand how people can claim that their god is better in some way, especially seeing as most popular religions are based on the same God, right? So most Christian stories and beliefs are basically the same as Muslim or Jewish right, but if you read your Greek history, one can detect the same theme, sometimes almost identical story lines. Hummm, intersiting.

son-perdition Posted: Mon Apr 16 20:49:54 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  unless your God is satan who set up the abomination of desolation http://jesus-survival.com/Abomination-desolation.htm where christians and muslems worshipped satan.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]