Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Atheist
Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 16:52:27 2004  
  I am an Atheist. I've been an atheist since as far back as I can remember. I am unfortunately Roman Catholic in the eyes of my family. Which means I have to go to church, pray before dinner, etc. I have to do these things because I don't feel like getting massacred by my very large god fearing family. If you haven't figured it out yet, they do not know my true thoughts on life. Anyone else in the same situation?

Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:01:35 2004  
  I'm recently Agnostic, formerly atheist, formerly still, roman catholic theist.

I simply don't find that there is enough evidence either way as for the existence of God in a roman catholic/christian/any given point of view, and similarly, not enough evidence to disprove it, either.

As such, I remain an Agnostic.

FN Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:03:28 2004  
  No.

I just tell my family like it is, much easier.

I remember my grandmother asking me if I'd pray for her after she'd die and I told her I wouldn't because I don't believe in it which made her cry but I never took it back and she had no choice but accept it basicly.

After some talks with her she is turning her back more and more on religion as well though.

My dad comes from a very religious family (well, a lot of priests in the family) and untill the age of I think 12 or something he'd take me to church on a quite regular basis but when I said I wouldn't go anymore around that time that was it. My dad stopped going as well in the end.

Last time I was in a church was when my grandfather died. I was there only as a show of respect and because it was my last chance to spend a few hours with him. With his corpse actually, I don't believe his "spirit" was still linguering there but it was a token of respect for him, his life, and his impact on mine. Purely symbolic, nothing more, nothing less. I didn't pray, and I'm sure he would have been okay with that.

FN Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:04:18 2004  
  And to answer your question: I'm an atheÔst.

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:08:38 2004  
  My family is really, really religious. When my mom was in labor. She had 7 nuns and two priests praying over her(because my grandpa is well known in the catholic community). When I was born, I was blessed by five priests. Guess what day I was born on...

FN Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:12:07 2004  
  January 1st?

Sounds like your family sucks arse.

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:12:45 2004  
  No but close

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:15:06 2004  
  December 25th

FN Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:15:34 2004  
  To quote myself:

The only way a mime can get something across to a blind audience is by hitting them on the head.

I heard a pretty good metaphore somewhere about god by the way.

If he exists god is like a lifeguard standing at the edge of the pool with a child drowning in it doing nothing.

I still don't understand how any sane person can say they truly believe in "god". I really can't. That's why I won't ever visit the bible belt. It would get out of hand and turn nasty. Genocide anyone?

FN Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:16:57 2004  
  Ahriman said:
>December 25th

Yeah I kind of figured it out I was just kidding.

Sarcasm, ever heard of it? (ah, if I'd get a cent for every time I'd say that, I'd probably be saying it all day. But that's not the point, you know what I mean.)

FN Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:18:39 2004  
  Christophe said:
>Genocide anyone?

I can just see myself now standing on top a mountain of child molesters and other religious types with their heads shoved up eachother's asses maniacally laughing and screaming "where is your god now, bitch"

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:19:20 2004  
  I live in an area of New York where people think that rebel flags are cool, and alcoholism is rampant. Whenever I talk to people on why I'm atheist I get threats and insults. I've been called the AntiChrist many, many, many times. Once I leave my area, and head into Buffalo(I'm in Western New York) I feel better because views are excepted much easier there.

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:21:16 2004  
  I got into a fight once because I asked a person why they believed in God. He throws a punch, and I do my thing. People who follow christianity tend to get very violent for some reason.

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:27:09 2004  
  My school is a public school, yet they found a loop hole in the seperation of church and state.
A club was created called First Priority(Bible Club), and they have weekly meetings after school. The school tells me that because they don't sponsor it, it's ok. I don't say "Under God" during the pledge of allegiance and I don't care about people talking to others about how great The Passion was, but when I have to walk down the hall looking at posters that First Priority put up. I want to go berserk.

Puck Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:40:39 2004  
  Christophe said:
"where is your god now, bitch"

For some reason, I imagined that just being repeated indefinitely like at You'rethemannowdog.com

"We're two wild and crazy gods!"

Puck Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:42:06 2004  
  Ahriman said:
>People who follow christianity tend to get very violent for some reason.

Maybe that's what happens when they don't know how else to defend their religion.

How old are you?

On you avatar, you're using the web address. You should just be using the pic location.

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 17:46:51 2004  

jennemmer Posted: Wed Sep 15 18:21:20 2004  
  I understand to a certain degree. I'm at odds right now with 'formal religion' ie. I believe in something but not in any doctrine. This causes some tension in my family as my mother is currently studying to become an ordained minister. Fortunately though i don't have to live with her (it's a lot easier to take when it's not daily)

addi Posted: Wed Sep 15 18:35:20 2004  
  Ahriman said:
> People who follow christianity tend to get very violent for some reason.

lol
Some of the best boxers in history were christians.

Don't be a theist
Don't be an atheist
Neither stance is defensible.

(sounds like a football cheer,doesn't it)

By adamently denying the possibility of God's exisitence you're painting yourself needlessly into a corner.

Come join us krunk agnostics. We're the cool ones. Even Satan wants to join us, but we just tell him to take a frickin' hike and go rush the Baptists. If you join now you get to drink beer even though you're underage, AND you get three free months of HBO!

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 18:47:33 2004  
  neither is defensible?

addi Posted: Wed Sep 15 18:50:43 2004  
  Ahriman said:
>neither is defensible?

prove to me that there is no God?

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 18:51:04 2004  
  Prove to me there is

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 18:51:42 2004  
  I can simply watch the world pass me by and see no signs of your god.

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 18:53:54 2004  
  How do you explain "god"

addi Posted: Wed Sep 15 18:55:56 2004  
  Ahriman said:
>Prove to me there is

do me a favor ahriman and look up the meaning of Agnostic

then we can maybe have a logical discussion : )

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 19:26:07 2004  
  I don't believe in god, but I have beliefs in what really happen. How we came to be

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 19:27:06 2004  
  agnostic skeptical about existence of god, atheist knows there is no god. I know

addi Posted: Wed Sep 15 19:38:17 2004  
  Ahriman said:
>agnostic skeptical about existence of god, atheist knows there is no god. I know

:)
we're cool. You were just trying to get me to defend a position I did't hold.

Wanted to make sure we were operating in the same dimension.

So now you got me curious. What really happened?

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 19:42:28 2004  
  At the fight?

addi Posted: Wed Sep 15 19:48:58 2004  
  the fight?! my god we need to get you away from the tequilla!

your belief in "what really happened."

ahriman said:

> don't believe in god, but I have beliefs in what really happen. How we came to be

Zacq Posted: Wed Sep 15 19:51:40 2004  
  The reason you can't really prove there is no god is because to do it you have to show contradictions of reality and the Bible. But there may be a god that's not the one written about in the Bible, so you're really only proving that the particular example of a godlike creature couldn't really exist.

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 19:52:30 2004  
  sorry, I'm running on an hour of sleep and five coffees. I believe what every scientifically minded person believes. Molecular combination, spark of electricity, instant life

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 19:53:43 2004  
  The experiment has been done over and over again in colleges. You can create organic matter from inorganic molecules with just a little electricity.

addi Posted: Wed Sep 15 20:07:00 2004  
  Ahriman said:
>I believe what every scientifically minded person believes. Molecular combination, spark of electricity, instant life

Is that like instant coffee?

why can't you believe in the "scientific process" and still believe in a supreme being? A God behind the chemical reactions sparking life?

*zacq..do you believe in the great penguin? I do

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 20:14:15 2004  
  I do not see the existence of a god, but I do see the existence of life. Therefore I believe in life and not a god. Just because everyone in the world is afraid of just simply disappearing after they die. Doesn't mean that we should all try to believe in life after death.

Zacq Posted: Wed Sep 15 20:35:10 2004  
  addison said:
>*zacq..do you believe in the great penguin? I do

Thou art holy oh great Zeke the Penguin.

The only commandent he has just says 'slide.'

libra Posted: Wed Sep 15 20:55:35 2004  
  My dad came from the same sort of situation as you Ahriman. Maybe not quite so harsh, but at age 11 he had decided against his parent's catholic beliefs. But he told them what he believed and in high school he left his private catholic school for public school.

As far as me...I don't believe in religion, I don't believe in the bible, or any book that contains the word of any god. I'm giving a TEENY bit of space for the existence of a god. BUT I don't think any god would be like what anyone is thinking...

I look at the functional utility of having a belief in god, the usefulness of the idea, of the power it has...and it all spells out to me that it is entirely a useful cultural custom that is slowly (i hope) coming to its death.
This, along with my complete acceptance of scientific understanding/explanation of the world leads me to my position between Atheism and Agnosticism...leaning heavily towards the atheism spot...

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 21:02:13 2004  
  nice

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 21:25:07 2004  
  If anyone wants to argue/talk about this or any other subject in a quicker fashion. My AIM(aol instant messenger) screen name is LittleRaven525

simonvii Posted: Wed Sep 15 21:42:14 2004  
  Ahriman said:
>The experiment has been done over and over again in colleges. You can create organic matter from inorganic molecules with just a little electricity.

thats not true - a living cell has never been created from scratch, ever...a living cell has 23 amino acids, only like 18 have ever been created from scratch, and of those some can't be created in the existence of things like water or oxygen, while some need those to be created - so even of the 18 or so that have been created, they havent been able to create them together in order to create a whole cell anyway...

innocenceNonus Posted: Wed Sep 15 21:49:18 2004  
  I'm Christian, lol... looks like I'm in the minority, which, by religion, is rare.

I understand where a lot of you come from, and I think it's really interesting reading some of your views.

However, I want you guys to understand something.

There are a lot of people out there who claim to be Christians and don't do ANYTHING close to what the Bible says. They only claim Christianity as their own because that's how the majority is. I'm sure most of you know this- people are often typical religious hypocrites.

Unfortunately, the number of religious hypocrites is a lot, and I'm sorry that you have run into them.

I'm talking about the violent fanatics and narrow-minded jerkfaces that criticize you for what you believe.

I think, if someone is honestly a Christian, they wouldn't go on the offensive like that.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is (and this doesn't really relate to the topic at hand or others) to NOT judge a religion based on the representatives or even present a religion based on how the "believers" act. I don't think that's fair to the thought line of several religious, and after all- we're free-minded and and thoughtful people here. I'm sure it's possible to look at a religion purely for its beliefs and not at the representatives.

I know no one has really said that they don't believe a religion based on the people who believe it, but I've seen situations like it and just wanted to give my two-cents worth. I'm sick of hearing "I'm not Christian because all of those Christians are fanatical hyprocrites." It's like they don't even give the ideals a chance... And isn't that what religion should be all about??

Eh, that's my opinion.

iggy Posted: Wed Sep 15 23:45:29 2004  
  No Strings Attached
Dawn Wolf
14 Sep 2003

I have my own God. He is good.
And strong.
And nuturing.

When I've hurt myself or someone else,
He comforts me.

He has a great sense of humor.
(forinstance, he laughs when I bump my head)
He probably even wrote:
"Help! I've fallen!
And I can't reach my cross!"

He invented roller coasters.
And rock music.
And sex.
And chocolate-chip-cookie-dough ice cream.

He knows your God.
They surely are friends.
They probably consult on God-issues
like salvation and sin.
They don't always agree.
Because they are different.
(Yet they're very much the same.)

My God, like yours,
has His percieved faults.
He forgot to give Hitler a conscience.
He should have made more people colour blind.
He made it way to easy to become a parent.
He forgot to make the earth people-proof.

But all-in-all, he's got it together,
and I love Him.

And if your God turns away
because you sin too much
and you watch football on Sunday instead of praying,
or because you question His existence,
you are welcome here.

No strings attached.

iggy Posted: Wed Sep 15 23:48:08 2004  
  i'm a christian/buddist
they do mix... and i don't see any conflicts of interests

all i know is that someone up there likes me enough to show me all my families and give me enough passion to carry on living
:)

antartica Posted: Wed Sep 15 23:55:45 2004  
  i consider myself an atheist
but when i think about my life and those about me that i care about i think again
lemme give you all an eg...

october 2002... holiday was planned with the Chanz. and we wanted to have a ball so we book ourselves for the Hard Rock Bali
one thing led to another. i got delayed at work so i could not get back to singapore on time, and the chanz decided to stay in singpaore so he'd have his birthday with his folks...

and on that fateful day where we were supposed to be chilling on the beachside with a cold one... was the day of the Bali bomnings... Oct 12 2002...

so whether or not there be an old dood up top or not, i do beleive thre is someone or something watching out for me and my Family...

Posted: Thu Sep 16 01:06:40 2004  
  if you want some serious insight into the matter, perhaps you should take a read into some of the more respected documents and essays on the subject:

David Hume - Evil makes a Strong Case against God's Existence

Saint Anselm - The Classical Ontological Argument
coupled with...
Gaunilo - Critique of Anselm's Argument

Thomas Aquinas - The Cosmological Argument
coupled with...
J.L. Mackie - Critique of the Cosmological Argument

C.S. Lewis - The Moral Argument

Blaise Pascal - Wager Theory

Richard Dawkins - Science Discredits Religion

Most of these are 5-10 pages or so, and most are out of copyright; so it shouldn't be hard to find online, and they're short enough that there's little excuse for not educating yourself on their subjects.

Then again, for an all-inclusive read, check out this anthology (encompases, i believe, almost all of the aforementionned essays/articles):

Philosophy of Religion: Selected Readings (Second Edition), 2001. Michael Peterson William Hasker, Bruce Reichenbach, David Basinger. OXFORD University Press, New York.

i HIGHLY reccomend this; runs about $60 CDN, or $80 USD.

get back to me on this; I'd really like to hear how you guys react to some of those essays.

Posted: Thu Sep 16 01:42:00 2004  
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195135466/qid=1095313238/sr=ka-2/ref=pd_ka_2/102-9172550-2941702

there you go. $47, 640 pages.

Mark Posted: Thu Sep 16 02:22:49 2004  
  Ahriman said:
>sorry, I'm running on an hour of sleep and five coffees. I believe what every scientifically minded person believes. Molecular combination, spark of electricity, instant life

WellÖ not entirely, they could create amino acids. Some of those are what you could call the building blocks of life, but as far as I know they never succeeded in creating a living cell.

And if anyone should care: Iím not an atheist, but I do not believe in any God Önot as he or she is pictured in our daily life. Iíve ďstudiedĒ quite a few religions and it seems to me that when dealing with religion ignorance is a bliss. SoÖ how can I not believe in God and not be an atheistÖ Simple, God is a perfect being (or so is told) and I believe that there is a possibility that a perfect being can exist (which some would call God or any other name theyíve given to a supreme being).

dpdm031 Posted: Mon Dec 12 14:53:46 2005  
  CriminalSaint said:
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195135466/qid=1095313238/sr=ka-2/ref=pd_ka_2/102-9172550-2941702
>
>there you go. $47, 640 pages.

Weird, i am writing a paper on science and religion for my class on phil. of religion, and this book is our text book.
have you read any of this book??
pretty good stuff

dpdm031 Posted: Mon Dec 12 14:54:42 2005  
  ok im sure nobody will read this since it all was written a year ago.

addi Posted: Mon Dec 12 15:07:00 2005  
  dpdm031 said:
>ok im sure nobody will read this since it all was written a year ago.

We'll read it. We like old things here...old threads, old wine, Old Gold cigarettes, old socks, and last but not least, old GT regulars

: )

choke Posted: Mon Dec 12 17:06:22 2005  
  addi said:
>dpdm031 said:
>>ok im sure nobody will read this since it all was written a year ago.
>
I read it.

Mesh Posted: Mon Dec 12 19:06:27 2005  
  choke said:
>addi said:
>>dpdm031 said:
>>>ok im sure nobody will read this since it all was written a year ago.
>>
>I read it.

As did I.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Tue Feb 7 12:52:55 2006  
  I come from a somewhat religious Muslim family. This is unfortunate for me, because some members of my family refuse to talk to me because I am an atheist.

If someone is thinking of asking me why I donít believe in a god, here is my answer. The abstract idea of there being a god doesnít seem logical.

addi Posted: Tue Feb 7 12:57:07 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:

>If someone is thinking of asking me why I donít believe in a god, here is my answer. The abstract idea of there being a god doesnít seem logical.

Good answer, Spock

You'll fit in well here with a number of posters.

*and sooner or later you'll become enlightened and realize that believing there is no god, is just as untenable as saying with certaintly there is a god.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Tue Feb 7 13:25:00 2006  
  addi said:
I know it was a good answer :P

>*and sooner or later you'll become enlightened and realize that believing there is no god, is just as untenable as saying with certaintly there is a god.

I know that very well.

No one can ever prove that god exist and no one can ever prove that god doesn't exist. But for some reason we never seem to tire of debating the topic.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Feb 7 14:14:31 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:

>If someone is thinking of asking me why I donít believe in a god, here is my answer. The abstract idea of there being a god doesnít seem logical.
>
And how logical is the statement that there is no god ?

Not everybody is bound by the constraints of logic.

addi Posted: Tue Feb 7 15:23:29 2006  
  ifihadahif said:

>Not everybody is bound by the constraints of logic.

In fact there are people out there that have no use for it at all

maybeitwillwork Posted: Tue Feb 7 17:31:36 2006  
  ifihadahif said:
>And how logical is the statement that there is no god ?
>
>Not everybody is bound by the constraints of logic.

Now lets think about this now. By saying that there is a god you are telling me that there is this imaginary ďthingĒ somewhere out there that you canít see or any way document, but it some how makes things happen. I'm going to let you live in your imaginary world, and Iíll stay in the real one.

There is thinking out side of the box and not being bound by the constraints of logic and then there is just being plain silly. Believing that there is a god would qualify as being silly according to me. Saying that you believe in god is like saying that you believe in witchcraft or magic.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Feb 7 19:13:34 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>And how logical is the statement that there is no god ?
>>
>>Not everybody is bound by the constraints of logic.
>
>Now lets think about this now. By saying that there is a god you are telling me that there is this imaginary ďthingĒ somewhere out there that you canít see or any way document, but it some how makes things happen. I'm going to let you live in your imaginary world, and Iíll stay in the real one.
>
>There is thinking out side of the box and not being bound by the constraints of logic and then there is just being plain silly. Believing that there is a god would qualify as being silly according to me. Saying that you believe in god is like saying that you believe in witchcraft or magic.
>
Perhaps, but is witchcraft or magic all that silly? Can you prove they do not exist ?
If you think believing in god is silly, then prove there is no god.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Feb 7 19:18:34 2006  
  Oh by the way, welcome to GT maybeitwillwork.
I neglected to welcome you earlier, and just pounced on you and I apologize for that.
Regardless of how heated our debates can get, and they can get nasty sometimes, everyone and every point of view is welcome here, although I think most GT'ers would rather not discuss politics with me because most in here are liberals and I refuse to capitulate. I will hold my ground and never give up, cuz I am always right.
Welcome sir !

maybeitwillwork Posted: Tue Feb 7 21:25:19 2006  
  ifihadahif said:

>Regardless of how heated our debates can get, and they can get nasty sometimes, everyone and every point of view is welcome here, although I think most GT'ers would rather not discuss politics with me because most in here are liberals and I refuse to capitulate. I will hold my ground and never give up, cuz I am always right.

I applaud you for always holding your ground, even if i happen not to agree with you. It's a good quality.

To prove the witchcraft and magic are not really. I'm one who believes that which i can see. It's disproven by the fact that it can't be proven.

addi Posted: Tue Feb 7 21:46:03 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:

>I applaud you for always holding your ground, even if i happen not to agree with you. It's a good quality.

Don't encourage him. He needs help.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Tue Feb 7 22:52:43 2006  
  addi said:
>Don't encourage him. He needs help.

I think you might be right. But we all need a little help.

libra Posted: Wed Feb 8 02:30:31 2006  
  I like the newcomer.

FN Posted: Wed Feb 8 05:28:00 2006  
  I don't care for hem and his leftist moslim-excusing ways

Today is the day I have officially declared war on socialism lol

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Feb 8 06:53:29 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:

>To prove the witchcraft and magic are not really. I'm one who believes that which i can see. It's disproven by the fact that it can't be proven.
>
By the same logic, couldn't one say that it is proven because it cannot be disproven ?

addi Posted: Wed Feb 8 07:05:47 2006  
  Christophe said:
>I don't care for hem and his leftist moslim-excusing ways

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I don't think it's so much that he's excusing them, as it is he's attempting to understand their behavior. There's a difference.

>Today is the day I have officially declared war on socialism lol

Sir Christophe marching to war on his unholy Crusade to defeat the evil muslim hordes...with his minions of bikini-clad brunettes dutifully following behind.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 11:46:19 2006  
  Christophe said:
>I don't care for hem and his leftist moslim-excusing ways

Me excusing their actions, I have done no such thing, and you won't see me do anything of the sort.

If I recall correctly I have said that they have reacted wrongly and that are at fault. But I also believe that the cartoons should be taken out of print, there is no need to continue agitating them.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 11:58:28 2006  
  ifihadahif said:
>By the same logic, couldn't one say that it is proven because it cannot be disproven ?

So are you saying that if I can't disprove something that is must be true?

I mean I can make an infinite number of ridiculous claims that can neither be proven nor disproven, but they are all known to be false.

And come on does anyone who is educated really believe in witchcraft and magic, they are old ideas once used to try and explain the world before we actually knew how things worked. For the most part they are now only a child fantasy world.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Feb 8 14:04:40 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>By the same logic, couldn't one say that it is proven because it cannot be disproven ?
>
>So are you saying that if I can't disprove something that is must be true?
>
No I'm responding to your logic that if something that cannot be proven must be false, that same logic would follow that if it cannot be disproven then it must be true.

>I mean I can make an infinite number of ridiculous claims that can neither be proven nor disproven, but they are all known to be false.
>
Such as ?

>And come on does anyone who is educated really believe in witchcraft and magic, they are old ideas once used to try and explain the world before we actually knew how things worked. For the most part they are now only a child fantasy world.
>
Yes, there are many educated people who believe in witchcraft and magic.
Go to Google and type in Wicca and see for yourself.
Believing in witchcraft and magic is really no different than believing in Christianity or Islam, it's just not so much in the mainstream.

FN Posted: Wed Feb 8 17:51:11 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>If I recall correctly I have said that they have reacted wrongly and that are at fault. But I also believe that the cartoons should be taken out of print, there is no need to continue agitating them.

Au contraire, my naive friend, it is time to piss them off in every way imagineable.

And if they don't like it they can get the fuck out.

If you give in to these animals once they'll never stop. Appeasing Hitler didn't work either.

FN Posted: Wed Feb 8 17:54:32 2006  
  Because of it, during carnaval in a few weeks, I'm enlarging the bomb-in hat cartoon to A4 size and hanging it on my back (after giving it a plastic coating, if it would rain) with the subscript "Profeet; kust mijn kloten en mijn reet" (translated to english: prophet; kiss my balls and my ass)

Trying to get as many people as possible to do the same

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 18:46:40 2006  
  ifihadahif, it's true the logic does work both way, and there really isn't prove either side right, I can never convince someone to stop believing in god, and no one can convince me to believe in god. It something that is formed out f personal experience, and talking will not change a persons mind.

FN Posted: Wed Feb 8 18:57:09 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>ifihadahif, it's true the logic does work both way, and there really isn't prove either side right, I can never convince someone to stop believing in god, and no one can convince me to believe in god. It something that is formed out f personal experience, and talking will not change a persons mind.

Hence action is required since talking doesn't seem to work.

Mouse Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:12:31 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>Saying that you believe in god is like saying that you believe in witchcraft or magic.

First off, hi maybeitwillwork! And maybe we can think up a nickname, cause that's a little long to type out all the time.

Anyways, I feel like rocking boat and going back intop the shadows, so here's my quip on the subject. I don't believe in a god, or an after life, or many superstitions, but I do believe in 'magic'. It is the influences on our world that we can't yet define, human will for example. The human mind exists, we know that, we also have some understanding of how it does what it does, but we don't really understand all that it does. Human will, things as intangible as thoughts, can shape our surrounds even without being acted on or announced.
Sounds pretty hokey I guess, but I don't think I can phrase it properly.

And as a side note, the nicest group of religious people I know are Turkish sufi muslims. Family nice, even if you don't stick around for prayers. And they never have asked me, in that demanding way christians always have, what I believe.

Generally I can sum it up with one of my favorite bumper stickers; I don't have a problem with god, it's his fan club I can't stand.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:15:12 2006  
  Christophe said:

>If you give in to these animals once they'll never stop. Appeasing Hitler didn't work either.

You can't even start comparing them to Hitler. They are possibly 2 of the most diff groups that I can think of. Hitler wanted control people

The Muslim community for the most part just wants to be left the fuck alone, and I don't see why people aren't able to understand that very simple fact.

>Trying to get as many people as possible to do the same

Why do you insist on continuously trying to piss them off?

You have to understand that Muslims are fairly new to having their religion made fun of in this manner, they are not used to it.

Iíve heard people say that itís freedom of speech. My friend, there is a fine diff. between freedom of the press and doing something to piss someone off. Having freedom of speech is there so that the gov. doesnít censure the media, it not so that you can insult people for your kicks.

Mesh Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:15:22 2006  
  Mouse said:
>
>
>First off, hi maybeitwillwork! And maybe we can think up a nickname, cause that's a little long to type out all the time.
>

MaybeItwiLlworK.

MILK.

Milk.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:19:09 2006  
  Christophe said:

>Hence action is required since talking doesn't seem to work.

Is it not possible for you to just leave people alone in peace?

You will never get everyone to agree on anything.

addi Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:25:33 2006  
  Impetuous youth

*shakes head*

I know anything I have to say to you, Christophe, is totally pointless. You'll do what you want to do. Just try not to lose your brain functions as you're running around with that picture on. Don't get sucked up into the mob mentality...or you'll be lowering yourself exactly to the level of the people that are pissing you off. Try to be a bigger man than them.

and stay away from the muslim sections. I want you around here for a long time.

FN Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:28:35 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>But I also believe that the cartoons should be taken out of print, there is no need to continue agitating them.

Added to this:

From your deviantart profile:

(http://maybeitwillwork.deviantart.com/)

"Personal Quote: I wandered into my own maze of circular logic and got lost."

"Favourite artist: nature"

"5 facts about myself:
e) i have an over active imagination
f) i like being backed in to a corner and being forced to make decisions
g) i love playing devils advocate, arguing is fun"

"2 things I expect:
i) people to always try their best and not give up"

Let me just say this:

I know your kind, friend.
I've eaten more than one of you alive in any debate and I've encountered enough of your type to know that in the end they're in it for the attention from their peers and need of acceptance to repress the insecurities that their flawed world view and realization of their faked "values" brings along, and are basicly full of shit.

Self-righteous and empathic to the bone at first glance to a layman, and they like to think of themselves as alternative and non-conformist to the core, but then, like not-so-unexpected lightning in a not-so-clear not-so-blue sky:

MP3 player of choice: Ipod

What seems to be the case? They're part of the herd they love to denounce.

But wait, there is more shit to hit the fan as we dig a little deeper and some more reasons for this call for more respect for muslims and the banning of the cartoons rises to the surface like farts in a bathttub:

"3 facts about my name:
a) my name means the morning star in arabic or the north star"

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/18513660/

Looks like the reaction wasn't that neutral and appeasing as one, but not me, might have thought.

Sometimes I almost feel bad, but I never really do, for cracking your kind's faÁade in public when they think they're dealing with the likes of the morons they're used to being surrounded with, and then it backfires on them.

In the social surroundings you frequent, you're quite "the man", no doubt. In the real world however, frauds like you are barely worth crushing to me.

I could be wrong, but I rarely am.

Conclusion: a well-meant "fuck you" to you, pall, and may the fleas of a thousand camales infest your armpits.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:34:59 2006  
  Mouse said:

>Generally I can sum it up with one of my favorite bumper stickers; I don't have a problem with god, it's his fan club I can't stand.

I like that, and its also kind of they way I feel. I don't have a problem with people believing in god, it when they try and get me to believe in god that it starts bothering me.

I'm going to stop trying to prove that there isn't a god, it s futile effort. And I don't feel like I need to convince everyone to believe the things I do

And yes we do need to find a nickname for me

For now lets go with what meshuggah suggested "Milk" it short and I kind of like it

FN Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:35:12 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>You can't even start comparing them to Hitler. They are possibly 2 of the most diff groups that I can think of. Hitler wanted control people

Yeah, I can, freedom of speech, deal with it.

>The Muslim community for the most part just wants to be left the fuck alone, and I don't see why people aren't able to understand that very simple fact.

The european community wants to be left the fuck alone and some gratitude for giving people who would otherwise be toothless and herding sheep a life. The only thing asked in return is that they fucking behave.

>>Trying to get as many people as possible to do the same
>
>Why do you insist on continuously trying to piss them off?

Because I feel like it (and I'm secretly hoping one of them will be stupid enough to take the bait.)

>You have to understand that Muslims are fairly new to having their religion made fun of in this manner, they are not used to it.

Yeah, you have to understand that I could not possibly care any less at all.

>Iíve heard people say that itís freedom of speech. My friend, there is a fine diff. between freedom of the press and doing something to piss someone off. Having freedom of speech is there so that the gov. doesnít censure the media, it not so that you can insult people for your kicks.

My friend, take away the freedom of speech and speech is all you're left with.

That might work for you, but I'll be inciting a few riots myself before people like you will be calling the shots here.

FN Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:37:06 2006  
  addi said:
>Don't get sucked up into the mob mentality...

Lol, the only mob mentality I'll ever get sucked into will be the mob mentality that I designed, no worries there.

>and stay away from the muslim sections. I want you around here for a long time.

That's the whole point, but the concern is noted and appreciated.

Mesh Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:41:16 2006  
  Yeah, don't get yourself Van Gogh'd or anything.

addi Posted: Wed Feb 8 19:58:04 2006  
  Christophe said:

>Conclusion: a well-meant "fuck you" to you, pall, and may the fleas of a thousand camales infest your armpits.

was that really necessary?

Milk has a slight difference of opinion. He hasn't resorted to taking the personal insult route. I understand your passion about this subject, but he's not your enemy. Well meant fuck yous should be directed at the rioting muslims, not to him.

*go get laid, or get a good workout in, friend. You need to rid your body of some of that excesive testosterone.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 20:02:32 2006  
  Christophe you are very good at pissing people off, I mean you've actually managed to irritate me a bit. I must say that's quit an accomplishment.

I used to be a lot like you once. I do things just to piss people off, and like you I didnít care. I'd want to see if I could get someone mad, and if they got mad I would find it funny. Actually I still tend to do that. But Iíve learned when to stop; I few years ago I also might have enlarge one of the cartoons and put it on a shirt.

Most of your comments aren't even worth of a proper response. Think what you want, I really don't care, and you are right with some of the thing you said, but most of them are very wrong.

And yes I was born into a Muslim family, but a large portion of my family beyond my sister and parents refuse to speak to me because of some of my views on religion. I even had an argument with my dad about the cartoons, he was going on and on about how wrong it was that they were printed and I couldnít stand it. I told him that I could see how the cartoons could be offensive, but the way Muslims reacted was even worse. He responded by asking me why Muslims need to be the target of all the jokes. I think we al know that they arenít the target of all the jokes; in fact they are the target of the least number of jokes. People need to learn how to get over things, and how to live with one another, that goes for both sides.

I feel like IĎm stuck in the middle. I can see where both sides are coming from but I canít agree with wither one.

There was a negative reaction to the cartoons, so why then do they keep printing them and then complain when the Muslims get mad. Yes the Muslims should suck it up and behave but they don't. In Europe that is a mixture of those who have immigrated there and those who have lived there for generations, those who are new to the region will need time to assimilate to the culture, and it won't happen over a few years, it will probably take several generations. Both sides need to give, neither can get everything they want.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 20:07:31 2006  
  By the way Christophe thank you for taking the time to visit my accout on DA. All are welcome. :)

FN Posted: Wed Feb 8 20:12:14 2006  
  addi said:
>Christophe said:
>
>>Conclusion: a well-meant "fuck you" to you, pall, and may the fleas of a thousand camales infest your armpits.
>
>was that really necessary?

Not really no. But it's more fun.

>Milk has a slight difference of opinion. He hasn't resorted to taking the personal insult route. I understand your passion about this subject, but he's not your enemy. Well meant fuck yous should be directed at the rioting muslims, not to him.

Not that slight.

And personal insult; I say: if the shoe fits you can put it on.

I do know this type of people, and have lost all patience with them basicly. The only reason why I still interact with them is for personal amusement.

>*go get laid, or get a good workout in, friend. You need to rid your body of some of that excesive testosterone.
>: )

If anything the above makes me more aggressive than I'd normally be lol.

I'm not aggressive usually though, and we've been in enough discussions that by now you should have seen that I rarely take the personal route, but that doesn't mean I can't make an exception when I feel like it.

If he would have stated he had some "arab links", the matter would have been different, but on purpose or not, he tried to come across like being neutral and like I'm the crazy guy while alluding to giving in to the people who're rioting by stopping the cartoons and probably banning them as well if he had the chance to, one thing implies the other.

I rarely let myself get provoked (not talking about physical fighting, I only hit back or try to neutralize) because I know that once I pass that boundary I stop making any concessions and tend to go full out which is not always appreciated, but be very assured that it never happens without solid reasons behind it.

He is giving his own opinion, I am giving mine, and in order to support it I give a few hints at the kind of person I might be dealing with.

"getting personal" or insulting somebody, to me, is only when you're adding stuff that has nothing do with anything or no reasonable grounds for suspecting it

FN Posted: Wed Feb 8 20:23:02 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>Christophe you are very good at pissing people off, I mean you've actually managed to irritate me a bit. I must say that's quit an accomplishment.

If pissing anybody off was the objective you probably wouldn't be "irritated".

Perhaps you'll understand somewhere down the road lol.

>I used to be a lot like you once. I do things just to piss people off, and like you I didnít care. I'd want to see if I could get someone mad, and if they got mad I would find it funny. Actually I still tend to do that. But Iíve learned when to stop; I few years ago I also might have enlarge one of the cartoons and put it on a shirt.

I don't do it just for pissing people off, mon ami.

I doubt that you are anything like me.

>Most of your comments aren't even worth of a proper response. Think what you want, I really don't care, and you are right with some of the thing you said, but most of them are very wrong.

Lol. Sure man, sure :o)

>He responded by asking me why Muslims need to be the target of all the jokes. I think we al know that they arenít the target of all the jokes; in fact they are the target of the least number of jokes. People need to learn how to get over things, and how to live with one another, that goes for both sides.

That's where you're wrong though, muslims need to learn how to live with western people, if not they are free to do so as well, and simply shouldn't stay here.

I'm not changing *anything* for somebody who probably wouldn't live pass 40 if they had to stay in their country of origin and feels like they have the *right* to anything here.

>I feel like IĎm stuck in the middle. I can see where both sides are coming from but I canít agree with wither one.

That's your problem though, not mine.

>There was a negative reaction to the cartoons, so why then do they keep printing them and then complain when the Muslims get mad. Yes the Muslims should suck it up and behave but they don't.

That's the whole point, why should europeans give in, and where will it end?

>In Europe that is a mixture of those who have immigrated there and those who have lived there for generations, those who are new to the region will need time to assimilate to the culture, and it won't happen over a few years, it will probably take several generations. Both sides need to give, neither can get everything they want.

So let me get this straight, you're telling me about how it is in Europe while you probably barely heard of it before the cartoon thing?

The fact that you are under the impression that they adapt after a few generations shows you know shit about the situation.

That's the whole problem, they do not adapt but expect the europeans to do so, who in turn are getting pissed off because they're giving these people a life and it still isn't enough.

Seriously, what do you know about the history of immigration in Europe, the consequences, and the current standing of it? And how do you feel like you're even remotely equally informed about it as I am, giving you the right to lecture me about it?

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Feb 8 21:24:24 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>>The Muslim community for the most part just wants to be left the fuck alone, and I don't see why people aren't able to understand that very simple fact.
>
Then why don't they band together and put a boot up the ass of the ones that keep trying to export wahabbism ?

I would ask you this, what is the position of moderate muslims that you know on Israel ?

>>
>
>You have to understand that Muslims are fairly new to having their religion made fun of in this manner, they are not used to it.
>
>Iíve heard people say that itís freedom of speech. My friend, there is a fine diff. between freedom of the press and doing something to piss someone off. Having freedom of speech is there so that the gov. doesnít censure the media, it not so that you can insult people for your kicks.
>
You must understand that freedom comes with a price and that is that you must tolerate that which you abhor to the very core of your being.
That is the price of freedom and it is difficult sometimes, and it is worth it most of the time.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 21:26:29 2006  
  Christophe said:

>That's where you're wrong though, Muslims need to learn how to live with western people, if not they are free to do so as well, and simply shouldn't stay here.

I will completely agree with you on that part.

Now to respond to the rest of what you've said.

First of all I have no Arab links, I'm European, I'm from Bosnia.

My family has always lived in Europe, and most of them still do. I know of the situation there were well, trust me on that.

My family left the country. I have live in several European, spending at least a year and a half in each. That's what gives me the right. Yes currently I live in the US, but that is a recent change in my residence.

You don't know anything about me. You have one impression of me, and it's very wrong. Usually I'm not argumentative, I don't like being in the center of things. I don't like having argument with people who refuse to listen to any form of reason, like your self.

You say that you put up with people like me for your own amusement. I actually fell the same way about you. Your type are arrogant and narrow minded, only capable of seeing a situation form one perspective, you are also not willing to give any merit to any opinion other then your own.

addi Posted: Wed Feb 8 21:53:13 2006  
  consider yourself initiated to the forum, Milk. Usually it takes a little more time, but you stumbled in here just at the right time.

and sometimes Christophe is actually a decent, rational, kind person. You just caught him at a bad time. When I first came to the forum I thought he was a complete asshole. But as I got to know him I discovered he's really 50% asshole and 50% teddy bear.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 22:02:27 2006  
  addi said:

>and sometimes Christophe is actually a decent, rational, kind person. You just caught him at a bad time. When I first came to the forum I thought he was a complete asshole. But as I got to know him I discovered he's really 50% asshole and 50% teddy bear.

He doesn't back down. It's a good quality. Anyone with strong opinions tends to be an asshole at times, but they are often still good reasonable people, deep down on the inside.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Wed Feb 8 22:03:00 2006  
  ifihadahif said:
>Then why don't they band together and put a boot up the ass of the ones that keep trying to export wahabbism ?

I really don't have an answer for you there. And nor do I have any opinion on the topic.

>I would ask you this, what is the position of moderate Muslims that you know on Israel ?

The moderate Muslims, there aren't many I'll tell you that for starters, I know that from experience.

They recognize the right of Israel to exist. But they also want an independent Palestine state. They believe that Israel should stop all new settlements. Some might even go so far as to ask for the original borders, the ones the ones UN General Assembly Resolution 181 set. But most know that is going to far. What bothers moderate Muslims the most about the Palestine/Palestine situation is that both sides refuse to compromise.

Personally I think that the two should be split as the borders stand right now. And the UN should handle the establishment of the Palestine government; Palestine is not capable of doing accomplishing that on itís own. Israel and Palestine need to be completely independent states or the problems will not end.

Here is a link to the original plan.
http://www.mideastweb.org/unpartition.htm

>You must understand that freedom comes with a price and that is that you must tolerate that which you abhor to the very core of your being.
>That is the price of freedom and it is difficult sometimes, and it is worth it most of the time.

Yes I know this. And I agree. But know that not every one understand the concept of freedom and at what price it comes, thatís why I say that using freedom of speech in ways that will in the end only insult people is wrong. In no way am I saying that it should be restricted, but people should not aggravate one another needlessly.

addi Posted: Wed Feb 8 22:19:43 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:

>He doesn't back down. It's a good quality.

I've heard the same thing said about our president.

"He doesn't back down..even when he's wrong."

Mesh Posted: Wed Feb 8 23:18:24 2006  
  Naturalist Pantheism has won my heart.

jennemmer Posted: Wed Feb 8 23:33:41 2006  
  addi said:
> But as I got to know him I discovered he's really 50% asshole and 50% teddy bear.

I've posted this here before but I think it's amusing and somewhat true and even relevant..

http://www.physics.umanitoba.ca/~fallis/images/sometimesasshole.GIF

Maybeitwillwork, welcome. Experiencing a trial by fire I see, both hif and chris... jumping straight into the deep end ;)

For the record I'm not a fan of calling you "milk"... "may" or "maybe" don't seem right either.. "twill" ? That was the first part of your name that jumped out at a possible piece...

addi Posted: Thu Feb 9 07:56:34 2006  
  jennemmer said:

>http://www.physics.umanitoba.ca/~fallis/images/sometimesasshole.GIF

Good toon...and it didn't upset any muslims. Amazing!

BTW, milk (or whatever your tag will be)
be nice to Jenn. She's got these magical scientific powers (like a Liger), and she can do stuff to your mind long distance if she doesn't like you. Once I pissed her off and the next morning i couldn't find my car keys. I KNOW she was behind it!

maybeitwillwork Posted: Thu Feb 9 11:25:07 2006  
  Well I would like to thank everyone for the welcome that i've recived. I had forgoten to do that.

jennemmer said:

>http://www.physics.umanitoba.ca/~fallis/images/sometimesasshole.GIF

It is a good toon. And it also happens to usualy be true.

Now as to what my nickname will be. I would first like to ask if there are any other suggestions?

If not what do people like better milk or twill? I'm fine with either one.

jennemmer Posted: Thu Feb 9 11:41:56 2006  
  addi said:
>Once I pissed her off and the next morning i couldn't find my car keys. I KNOW she was behind it!

It wasn't me I swear... is it my fault that the key hiding elves and I have an.. understanding? (The trouble is that they forget to ask me sometimes before they go and do these things... I was going to let you off with a warning).

libra Posted: Thu Feb 9 12:07:52 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:

>
>
>Now as to what my nickname will be. I would first like to ask if there are any other suggestions?
>
>If not what do people like better milk or twill? I'm fine with either one.

maybe seems to be more normal for me (we call criminalsaint crim, and addison addi, etc) but i think between those two, i like twill.

ps, where in the US are you living now?

Mesh Posted: Thu Feb 9 13:40:21 2006  
  Libra gets a strike!

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 9 15:00:25 2006  
  Ok mayb, how about Mayb ?

I think I'll call you Mayb.

addi Posted: Thu Feb 9 15:51:56 2006  
  meshuggah said:
>Libra gets a strike!

Shame on me. I wasn't looking at the bowling ball when I opened her pic.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 9 16:00:18 2006  
  addi said:
>meshuggah said:
>>Libra gets a strike!
>
>Shame on me. I wasn't looking at the bowling ball when I opened her pic.
>
She would appear to be just as hot going as she is coming .
;-)

Kira Posted: Thu Feb 9 17:46:56 2006  
  Hi Milk.

I'm Kira.

How did you find GT?

choke Posted: Thu Feb 9 18:03:32 2006  
  Christophe said:
>
>
>Conclusion: a well-meant "fuck you" to you, pall, and may the fleas of a thousand camales infest your armpits.

Whoa Christophe. Time out.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Thu Feb 9 18:08:53 2006  
  libra said:
>ps, where in the US are you living now?

I'm currently living in Minneapolis Minnesota.

Kira said:
>How did you find GT?

I don't actually remember how I found it. I've been lurking around here for sometime now. I'd drop by and read the posts on the main page. A few days ago, was the first time I visited the forum.

addi Posted: Thu Feb 9 18:17:44 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:

>I'm currently living in Minneapolis Minnesota.

My old haunting grounds. Went to school there and my brother lives in St.Paul. Now I'm a southern gentleman, but so many warm memories of that cold place.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Thu Feb 9 18:48:44 2006  
  addi said:
>My old haunting grounds. Went to school there and my brother lives in St.Paul. Now I'm a southern gentleman, but so many warm memories of that cold place.

It's a small world after all. Cold, yes it is.

Mouse Posted: Fri Feb 10 12:05:03 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>If not what do people like better milk or twill? I'm fine with either one.

I would vote for Twill, 'cause it sounds neater. ;)

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Feb 10 13:24:53 2006  
  I'm callin' him Mayb. . . so there !

Mouse Posted: Fri Feb 10 15:12:32 2006  
  ifihadahif said:
>I'm callin' him Mayb. . . so there !

You tell 'em, hif.
I'll call him the guy with the thermic-toned avatar. Oh wait, that's not shorter is it...
;)

Mouse

libra Posted: Fri Feb 10 15:27:53 2006  
  Mouse said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>I'm callin' him Mayb. . . so there !
>
>You tell 'em, hif.
>I'll call him the guy with the thermic-toned avatar. Oh wait, that's not shorter is it...
>;)
>
>Mouse

hehe.

love the hair Mouse, very pretty.

Mouse Posted: Fri Feb 10 15:48:46 2006  
  libra said:
>love the hair Mouse, very pretty.

Thank you, libra.
That's an old pic though, I think that is close to the length my hair is now but not the color. I dyed it that color the day after I bickered with someone over the color pink (which I despise). Confounding people can be such fun, as can making fun of yourself.

Mouse

Mesh Posted: Fri Feb 10 16:08:58 2006  
  Yeah I like that hair too.

Libra I swear you just moved in your avatar and the ball rolled and knocked over the pins.

I think I'll go with Mayb, also. Unless there is something else you would prefer, Mayb?

libra Posted: Fri Feb 10 17:41:44 2006  
  meshuggah said:
>Yeah I like that hair too.
>
>
>Libra I swear you just moved in your avatar and the ball rolled and knocked over the pins.
>
>

that'd be exciting

maybeitwillwork Posted: Fri Feb 10 18:34:25 2006  
  I realy have no preference. I'm fine with most any name I'm called.

Mouse, i love the hair, it's very nice.

Mouse Posted: Fri Feb 10 18:58:35 2006  
  meshuggah said:
>Yeah I like that hair too.
Thank you, meshy.

maybeitwillwork said:
>Mouse, i love the hair, it's very nice.
Thanks, Mayb.

It's a pretty retched profile, but it's also one of the few pictures that doesn't have my eyes glowing frightfully.

Mesh Posted: Fri Feb 10 19:17:29 2006  
  Here's a fun seminar.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5207159640493874061

By God, he is right. The theory of evolution is the root of all things wrong in this world.......

choke Posted: Sat Feb 11 10:35:57 2006  
  maybeitwillwork said:
>I realy have no preference. I'm fine with most any name I'm called.
>

Can I call you Maybil.

addi Posted: Sat Feb 11 10:39:33 2006  
  choke said:

>Can I call you Maybil.

I'm going with: Got Milk?

Mesh Posted: Sat Feb 11 16:14:58 2006  
  meshuggah said:
>Here's a fun seminar.
>
>
>http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5207159640493874061
>
>
>

Important link niggas. If the theory of evolution didn't exist, I wouldn't have called you niggas just now.

Kira Posted: Sat Feb 11 16:33:40 2006  
  choke said:
>>
>
>Can I call you Maybil.

Maybil. I like it. Like Paul and Jamie's kid.

maybeitwillwork Posted: Sat Feb 11 18:56:45 2006  
  choke said:

>Can I call you Maybil.

If you want you can :)

Mouse Posted: Sun Feb 12 21:56:16 2006  
  Hmm, I don't know about Maybil.
It's too like one of my coworkers, Mabel, and she's gross and bad at her job. Which is saying something because it's a bottom of low level job. And it sounds female to me.

But my opinion is pointless anyways, so do as you please.

Ed Posted: Sun Feb 12 22:00:55 2006  
  is there going to be any single choice or are we all going to pick a different name for this guy?

maybeitwillwork Posted: Sun Feb 12 23:04:23 2006  
  Ed said:
>is there going to be any single choice or are we all going to pick a different name for this guy?

i'm asking myself the same question

Ed Posted: Sun Feb 12 23:46:16 2006  
  regardless, welcome to the madness,....you.

libra Posted: Mon Feb 13 02:21:37 2006  
  Ed said:
>is there going to be any single choice or are we all going to pick a different name for this guy?

it was never this complicated before...we just invited someone, used their whole name for a bit, and the the nickname just happened...

FN Posted: Mon Feb 13 07:20:09 2006  
  Yeah, I say no to positive discrimination

Nicknames have to be earned, muslim or not

Ed Posted: Mon Feb 13 12:46:58 2006  
  libra said:
>it was never this complicated before...we just invited someone, used their whole name for a bit, and the the nickname just happened...

if it weren't so long of a name and he weren't so indifferent about the nickname, I don't think it would be so complicated.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Feb 13 12:54:46 2006  
  It's not complicated at all.
I'm calling him Mayb. Period.

choke Posted: Mon Feb 13 18:24:07 2006  
  I would say I'm going to call him Maybil but I'm pretty sure I'll just never refer to him by name.

Ed Posted: Mon Feb 13 20:05:50 2006  
  choke said:
>I'm pretty sure I'll just never refer to him by name.

THAT sounds like a good plan

MissManda86 Posted: Thu Mar 30 01:58:40 2006  
  I have a paper due tomorrow in my Spirituality and Belief class (who knows why i took that, lol). I chose the topic of Atheism and whether it has to do with age, social status, and a few other things. I was brought up with my mom being Catholic and my dad Baptist, and I was always forced to go to church with my mom. I think that's what drove me away from religion. Taking this class in college, I thought it would be an interesting topic even though I wasn't very religious myself.

I came across this "debate", if you can call it that anymore, while looking for information on my paper. My beliefs are that there is a higher being, maybe just not the "God" that a lot of people refer to. I was just wondering (after two years of this thing being on the internet, maybe I can dig up some of the old conversation if people still look on here) whether you all think there really is a deciding factor or factors on what age or group of people seem to have a larger population of Atheists.

any takers? =)

Mesh Posted: Thu Mar 30 02:18:05 2006  
  MissManda86 said:
>Stuff

First off, hello :) Second off, I'm not too smart so don't take anything I say too seriously. However I do believe I read a while back that in a study(or maybe it was according to the national census. Does that take into account religion? I don't even know.) anyways, whatever it was that I read was a large percentage of people who described themselves as atheist/agnostic were younger, as well tending to be generally from an urban area. Also that men were more likely than women to describe themselves as atheist or non-religious.

I did try to google and see if I could find that particular piece I read again so you would be able to read it, I think it would have had some good information for you. But I couldn't find it :(

Like I said I'm tired and I'm generally a dim bulb, and I know nothing of what I said was probably any help at all. So for what it's worth.....

I'm sure some of our more intelectually capable friends who like to post here have something worth saying, but they're all probably aslpee by now. Maybe they'll add their two cents in the morn'.

PS Sorry if all of that was incoherent. I'm not sure of what I wrote. I've already forgotten.

Mesh Posted: Thu Mar 30 02:20:34 2006  
  Mr. Misses said:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
intelectually aslpee
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

intellectually*

asleep*

GOD DAMNIT

addi Posted: Thu Mar 30 07:56:57 2006  
  MissManda86 said:

>I was just wondering (after two years of this thing being on the internet, maybe I can dig up some of the old conversation if people still look on here) whether you all think there really is a deciding factor or factors on what age or group of people seem to have a larger population of Atheists.

A few things

don't listen to Misses. He's much smarter than he gives himself credit for.

Most of us are all still here and alive, but we've talked abut this topic several times over the past few years so we may be a bit burnt out.

Welcome to the forum. We now have a MissManda and a Mr. Misses : )

I don't think you can get a solid answer on your question without looking at some recent research on the topic of beliefs...perhaps it's out there.
We can only give our opinions here (we've got some intelligent poster too), but it most likely will be based on our personal views about God, and not on reliable data gathered.

I think age group does play a role in how we believe about the existence of God. I'd bore you with my reasons for feeling that way, but I'm working and can't justify the time right now.
My gut tells me there are probably more atheists (percentage wise)in the 15 to 30 age group than there are in the 31 to 60 age group...due to many factors like technology, wars, economic status, etc..

But I know this probably isn't the content you need to use on a paper.
Good luck

beetlebum Posted: Thu Mar 30 15:41:56 2006  
  You should also probably look at the rate of atheism following WWI and WWII in Europe (the birthplace of Existentialism)... as well as in Japan. The countries that have seen (unimaginable) war on their own soil have a higher percentage of atheists, generally speaking.

And perhaps this might help a little?
http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/faculty/zuckerman/atheism.html

But then you read/see something like this, and you start to wonder how much isn't biological... which is creepy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/godonbrain.shtml

And don't believe Mr. Misses... he's quite switched on and intelligent, albeit crazy. But sometimes insanity is a sign of intelligence. :D

MissManda86 Posted: Wed Apr 5 02:04:54 2006  
  Mr. Misses said:
>MissManda86 said:
>>Stuff
>
>
>First off, hello :) Second off, I'm not too smart so don't take anything I say too seriously. However I do believe I read a while back that in a study(or maybe it was according to the national census. Does that take into account religion? I don't even know.) anyways, whatever it was that I read was a large percentage of people who described themselves as atheist/agnostic were younger, as well tending to be generally from an urban area. Also that men were more likely than women to describe themselves as atheist or non-religious.
>
>
>I did try to google and see if I could find that particular piece I read again so you would be able to read it, I think it would have had some good information for you. But I couldn't find it :(
>
>
>Like I said I'm tired and I'm generally a dim bulb, and I know nothing of what I said was probably any help at all. So for what it's worth.....
>
>
>
>I'm sure some of our more intelectually capable friends who like to post here have something worth saying, but they're all probably aslpee by now. Maybe they'll add their two cents in the morn'.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>PS Sorry if all of that was incoherent. I'm not sure of what I wrote. I've already forgotten.

MissManda86 Posted: Wed Apr 5 02:09:06 2006  
  shit... i really donno how to post here, i haven't been on a forum like, ever haha... what i WANTED to say... was:

Hehe, thank you very much to Mr. Misses... every last thing is appreciated. :)

And to addi and beetlebum (that first website will actually be in my paper thanks to you! =D), thank you for your inputs!!!

I had read this thread entry by entry and was intrigued by what everyone had to say... i wasn't at all surprised when i checked today that i actually got some replies.

i gave in my first draft of my paper, so hopefully it didn't suck too bad, haha. I still have a second draft to expand it, and then a final. I'll definately take into consideration some of what you all have put up here. Any information and opinions are better than none. ;)

*heart* y'all, thanks tons!!!
(ps. i'm definately checking back here more often =P)

Mesh Posted: Wed Apr 5 04:34:23 2006  
  addi said:
>
>
>don't listen to Misses. He's much smarter than he gives himself credit for.
>

I cannot believe you would spread such a terrible lie. Slanderer, you will rue the day!

addi Posted: Wed Apr 5 07:34:37 2006  
  MissManda86 said:

>And to addi and beetlebum (that first website will actually be in my paper thanks to you! =D), thank you for your inputs!!!

I'm generally a good source for common sense information (translation...it's useless for paper writing). Beetlebum is generally a great source for specific content data. She's from Missourah, the "Show Me" State, and that's just the way they do things there.

>(ps. i'm definately checking back here more often =P)

please do

Mesh Posted: Wed Apr 5 07:35:59 2006  
  addi said:
>
>>(ps. i'm definately checking back here more often =P)
>
>please do

I share in this sentiment.

MissManda86 Posted: Fri Apr 7 01:10:48 2006  
  =D

MissManda86 Posted: Tue May 16 00:24:49 2006  
  guys i got a B on my paper :)

addi Posted: Tue May 16 06:45:57 2006  
  MissManda86 said:
>guys i got a B on my paper :)

good job! B is for beautilicious.
I'm sure if you hadn't come here and gotten all this wonderful advice you would have gotten a C

beetlebum Posted: Tue May 16 07:42:26 2006  
  addi said:
>MissManda86 said:
>
>>And to addi and beetlebum (that first website will actually be in my paper thanks to you! =D), thank you for your inputs!!!
>
>I'm generally a good source for common sense information (translation...it's useless for paper writing). Beetlebum is generally a great source for specific content data. She's from Missourah, the "Show Me" State, and that's just the way they do things there.
>
>

Just now saw this, and I laughed out loud!

yessuh, it's what we do. glad to be of service. *tips hat*

MissManda86 Posted: Fri May 19 00:29:04 2006  
  addi said:
>good job! B is for beautilicious.
>I'm sure if you hadn't come here and gotten all this wonderful advice you would have gotten a C

haha completely agreed =D
(we'll see if this quoting thing works for me... i'm still not good at it haha)

The thread has reached it's limit of 150 postings.
If you still have something to say, it is either a very interesting topic, or (more likely) you're trying to flood the GT server.
In any case, please start a new thread.

[ Start new thread ]