Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

A New Church
lazyelephant Posted: Sun Jan 30 16:52:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  my mom is thinking of starting to go to church again...and we're thinking of going to a new one. there are some close to our house, but i'm afraid that if we go to the church she's got in mind isn't the best choice.

you see, this church, a lot of kids from my school go there. which isn't that bad except...i know a couple of them don't like me, and i just have this feeling that they're going to be even more unfriendly for me going there.

i just want to know what you think about it and whether or not i should start attending this church.

Mark Posted: Sun Jan 30 16:58:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  isn't the church about loving and caring for each other? they should love you for attending that church.

but to be serious, imho you shouldn't care about what they think about you. Let them not like you, who cares?

Asswipe Posted: Sun Jan 30 17:01:29 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm all for home-churching; teach yourself religion and if you have any questions, ask God, or whoever his representative may be in your area.

Puck Posted: Sun Jan 30 17:02:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wolffie said:
>isn't the church about loving and caring for each other? they should love you for attending that church.

They SHOULD. That doesn't mean they would.

FN Posted: Sun Jan 30 17:02:25 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Haha.

I hope you see the irony.

I can't believe how much religion sucks haha.

Don't get me wrong, it's nothing against you personally but this really is a good example about what church-going is all about.

We have a term for it here "schijnheiligheid", losely translated "wouldbe-holiness"

FN Posted: Sun Jan 30 17:03:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  and what does your mum going to church again have to do with you anyway

lazyelephant Posted: Sun Jan 30 18:31:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>and what does your mum going to church again have to do with you anyway

i live with my mom. if she says we go to church, we go. i think it would be fun to go to this church, but i'd end up punching someone after so much irritation. and i'm pretty sure that would have disastrous results.

kurohyou Posted: Sun Jan 30 18:45:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Don't get me wrong, it's nothing against you personally but this really is a good example about what church-going is all about.
>

Its a good example of what happens in human groups, be they church groups, work environments or high school cliques. I think that divisions like that are a natural occurance in any group of humans, not simply isolated to a church environment. For some reason humans enjoy forming groups and then isolating those whom they feel should not be part of the group. Its a facet of human life which I will never understand, but which we all must face.

>We have a term for it here "schijnheiligheid", losely translated "wouldbe-holiness"

"Sunday Do-gooders" is a term I always heard thrown around my family.

For what its worth...

kurohyou Posted: Sun Jan 30 18:52:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  lazyelephant said:
>my mom is thinking of starting to go to church again...and we're thinking of going to a new one. there are some close to our house, but i'm afraid that if we go to the church she's got in mind isn't the best choice.
>
>you see, this church, a lot of kids from my school go there. which isn't that bad except...i know a couple of them don't like me, and i just have this feeling that they're going to be even more unfriendly for me going there.
>
>i just want to know what you think about it and whether or not i should start attending this church.

I think a first course of action would be to discuss these concerns with your mother. Sit down and tell her your concerns. That way it won't come as a surprise later down the road if there happens to be tension amongst yourself and those who you don't get along with.

I would also focus on why you are there. While you will find differing views of the merits of church attendance here, I think everyone will agree that some form of spirituality is important to have. Where you get that spirituality is upto you and you alone.

There will always be people around whom you will have tension with, whom you will not see eye to eye with, and whom, for whatever reason may just not like you. That is a part of life. You already know that.

Go into this with a positive attitude. If you go into it thinking that it is going to be full of tension and stress then you are liable to create your own chaos. Approach it with an open mind.

If its one of these "mega-churches" we have here in America then you maybe able to attend and not run into these people. And even if it isn't there is no reason for you to have contact with them.

Make and overture, try to engage them. If they want nothing to do with you then let them be. Their anger, or whatever it is, falls into the realm of their problem, not yours. So don't own it.

Don't mean to sound preachy, no pun intended. Not knowing anymore about you or your situation this is pretty generic advise.

If push comes to shove, consider it a learning process. You're bound to get something out of it one way or another.

For what its worth...

lazyelephant Posted: Sun Jan 30 19:01:07 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  thanks a bunch kurohyou. i appreciate your help. i always try to be open to new or difficult things.

these people that dislike me, i am friendly to them at school when i have to associate with them. otherwise, i try to avoid conflicts by not putting myself in a tense situation.

thanks a million~

~Ele

DanSRose Posted: Sun Jan 30 21:12:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Go, but go to support your mother. Faith can be an important part in person's life, as support or re-affirmation in life. Instead of a building which houses a faith being her support and re-affirmation in life, make yourself her support and re-affirmation in life.

Oh, and Christophe- pleasepleaseplease bring back the Cruel Intentions kissing avatar. That fat kid is going to give me nightmares.

Aeon Posted: Mon Jan 31 00:10:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Why go to church when you can start your own?

Aeon Posted: Mon Jan 31 00:10:47 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Aeon said:
>Why go to church when you can start your own?

A'la L. Ron Hubbard. TAKE THAT SCIENTOLOGY! YOU FRAUD!

Mark Posted: Mon Jan 31 05:35:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>Wolffie said:
>>isn't the church about loving and caring for each other? they should love you for attending that church.
>
>They SHOULD. That doesn't mean they would.
next time I will use [sarcastic] and [/sarcastic] as tags to make it more obvious.

Christian Posted: Mon Jan 31 14:29:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Church is great! Go if you want to...why would it be any different from anything ELSE you want to do? (directed at all of the hate-filled church bashers out there, of course)

beetlebum Posted: Mon Jan 31 15:42:25 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  there are/will be tools any place you go, church or otherwise. (except maybe the GT forum ;o)

so check it out. there might be some other people who you end up liking. if it doesn't work for you, i'd say tell your mom... i don't know what kind of mom she is, but i know that if i told my mom that we were doing something that brought me down and made me feel insecure, we just wouldn't do it anymore. i think that is a reasonable way to be.

don't stress yourself too much, though. church just isn't worth that. :)

Puck Posted: Mon Jan 31 23:59:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  God Thinks
by Voltaire

God thinks all blacks are obsolete farm eqipment
God thinks the Jews killed his son and must be punished
God thinks the white man is Satan
God, they know what God thinks

God thinks we should all convert to Judaism
God thinks we must all be Christians and
God thinks we should all embrace Islam
God thinks the only true religion is Hinduism

And I
I know what God thinks
God thinks you're a waste of flesh
God prefers an Atheist

God thinks all people like you are evil
God thinks all people like you are an embarassment to creation
self-righteous, judgemental, first to throw the stone
and use His name for your own protection

God thinks the sun revolves around the Earth
God thinks there was something very wrong with Copernicus
God thinks abortion is murder and
God thinks everything that science gave us is wrong
God thinks women deserve it
God thinks AIDS is a form of punishment

I hate people who blame the Devil for their own shortcomings and
I hate people who thank God when things go right

And I
I know what God thinks
God thinks you're an idiot
God prefers a heretic

God God
God thinks all people like you are evil
God thinks all people like you are an embarassment to creation
and use His name for your own agenda

God is a liberal
God is a democrat
God wants you to vote republican
never trust a man who puts his words in the mouth of god
and says that it's absolute truth
its lies and it smells like death
its all in a day's work taking money from the poor
Why do you think that God would need your dirty money
if he wanted to start a holy war?

and use His name for your own protection

God thinks puppies need to die and
God thinks babies need to drown
'cause God is neither good nor bad
God is you and me
God is Everything

Puck Posted: Tue Feb 1 00:04:13 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wolffie said:
>next time I will use [sarcastic] and [/sarcastic] as tags to make it more obvious.

As I reread that post, I notice the obvious sarcasm. But a simple ";p" would work just as well. ;p

Mesh Posted: Tue Feb 1 10:07:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I say go. If they dont like you, fuck
em.

erikagm Posted: Sat Feb 5 18:58:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christian said:
>Church is great! Go if you want to...why would it be any different from anything ELSE you want to do? (directed at all of the hate-filled church bashers out there, of course)

Church, to start with, is the people, not the building. The buildings are mostly all very pretty, so I like them. I just dont like most of the people (church) that go there. Including the ministers, pastors, priests, or whatever you wanna call them.

Religion is beautiful in theory, but when it comes to organized religion, it's all a load of tosh.

Bzoso Posted: Mon Feb 7 19:42:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm said:
>Christian said:
>>Church is great! Go if you want to...why would it be any different from anything ELSE you want to do? (directed at all of the hate-filled church bashers out there, of course)
>
>Church, to start with, is the people, not the building. The buildings are mostly all very pretty, so I like them. I just dont like most of the people (church) that go there. Including the ministers, pastors, priests, or whatever you wanna call them.
>
>Religion is beautiful in theory, but when it comes to organized religion, it's all a load of tosh.
>

I 2nd that, I've gone to church every sunday for years until a while back, I don't know why I stopped, I guess i just realized it was a giant waste of time.

I just wonder why The All Powerful Being and Creator would create us in the hopes that we would all lead boring lives and meet once a week to kneel on uncomfortable little benches and listen to stupid shit that nobody cares about.

But whatever, enjoy.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]