Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Divorce Does Demonic Damage
misszero Posted: Thu Feb 19 08:54:10 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/s/divorce

you don't have to agree with me, but this made me teary...

addi Posted: Thu Feb 19 11:00:23 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Think I've said this before here (come to think of it what haven't I already said here?), but one of my younger brothers has been "married" to a male partner for about 15 years now. They have adopted two children and are raising them in an extremely good and loving environment. I'm not going to say it will be easy on them as they get older (teasing and taunting for having 2 dads), but compared to many male/female couples I have known those kids are in a far better situation to prosper and be happy in life.

Small rigid fearful minds...they're everywhere.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Feb 26 00:37:45 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I give a monthly contribution to the human rights campaign and sign whatever petitions I can. Being a bisexual woman i feel so agrivated and sadden by the idoicy of the religious right....

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 26 08:18:35 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>I give a monthly contribution to the human rights campaign and sign whatever petitions I can. Being a bisexual woman i feel so agrivated and sadden by the idoicy of the religious right....
>
Um, what does the religious right have to do with this ?

addi Posted: Thu Feb 26 12:23:54 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Um, what does the religious right have to do with this ?

Yeah! Everyone knows they're doing all they can to promote harmony, acceptance, equity and tolerance when it comes to gays!

; )

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 26 17:22:30 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>Um, what does the religious right have to do with this ?
>
>Yeah! Everyone knows they're doing all they can to promote harmony, acceptance, equity and tolerance when it comes to gays!
>
>; )
My only point there was that the gay marriage amendment was overwhelmingly defeated and the religious right was only a small part of that. Why single them out when the overwhelming majority of blacks and hispanics voted against it ?

addi Posted: Thu Feb 26 19:35:58 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I see where you're coming from buddy, and didn't mean to imply that that group was solely responsible for the problem. It was just a reaction to your question asking what they had to do with it, and by your own admission, they represent a significant group that is almost 100% against any type of rights for gays (or for that matter anyone believing or living a different lifestyle than their own).
In that light they have everything to do with the topic.

mat_j Posted: Tue Jul 27 07:20:10 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I fully condone singling out the relgious right for condemnation!

I'm willing to make a bet that a reasonable proportion of the black and hispanic voters you're talking about are probably also small 'c' conservatives influenced in their decisions by religion too.

Of course we can't forget the less religous and non religious right folks who also voted against the amendment purely on the grounds of good old fashioned bigotry.

libra Posted: Wed Jul 28 00:36:15 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>My only point there was that the gay marriage amendment was overwhelmingly defeated and the religious right was only a small part of that. Why single them out when the overwhelming majority of blacks and hispanics voted against it ?

A lot of Black and Latino voters are religious.

Mesh Posted: Wed Jul 28 01:52:22 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I cannot speak for statistics, so admittedly I have little foundation. However, anecdotally, I have found that a good number of black and hispanics are rather religious and this influences their views on a number of issues.

Also, there is much to be said about, as Mat so delicately put it, "good old fashioned bigotry." I've run into plenty a fool who is virulently homophobic who are not in the least way religious and cannot even begin to understand themselves the cause of their bigotry. Stems from a societal issue of what it means to be a "manly man" or what have you. But then, where is the basis of that coming from?

Also, I just said nothing in a lot of words. I am tired. Good night. I am not coherent in the slightest sense of the word.

mat_j Posted: Wed Jul 28 03:30:36 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wisenheimer said:

>Also, there is much to be said about, as Mat so delicately put it, "good old fashioned bigotry." I've run into plenty a fool who is virulently homophobic who are not in the least way religious and cannot even begin to understand themselves the cause of their bigotry. Stems from a societal issue of what it means to be a "manly man" or what have you. But then, where is the basis of that coming from?

You were magnificent!

Yes Good old fashioned bigotry and it's slightly less caustic cousin grandma and grandpa's folksy racism, the kind that tells you in a slightly heart warming way that Scotsmen are tight fisted.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Jul 28 09:28:26 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>My only point there was that the gay marriage amendment was overwhelmingly defeated and the religious right was only a small part of that. Why single them out when the overwhelming majority of blacks and hispanics voted against it ?
>
>A lot of Black and Latino voters are religious.
>
Absolutely correct Libra, most Hispanic voters are Catholic and most Black voters, at least around here are Baptist, but none of them could be counted as part of the religious right.

mat_j Posted: Thu Jul 29 04:57:51 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well maybe as far as any American dictionary definition or party description of the religious right goes but as far as i'm concerned they're homophobic and they're religious therefore they're the religious right.

PS-I'm sure there are many traditionalists and religious people with right leanings that are accepting of gay people BTW, just as i'm sure there are some closet or B52 liberals who are prejudiced against gay people, but the flag fliers for this particular area are relgious people with small 'c' conservative views, the don't have to be GOP to have right wing leanings, my I consider my parents right wing in their views about migration, justice and economy but they would never vote for the Conservative party.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]