Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Silly Question
Kira Posted: Thu Dec 3 20:29:06 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Tree swinging.

Is everyone familiar with Robert Frost's poem "Birches"? In it, he recalls climbing trees as a boy and then letting his weight on the tree's crown carry him gently back to the ground. I don't remember now what made me think of this, but suddenly I wondered who else might have done this as a child besides me.

Puck Posted: Thu Dec 3 20:52:33 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Only really had one climbing-tree and it got sap all over everything, so I didn't ever try swinging. I swung on thick, dead vine things instead.

ehwazingwaz Posted: Fri Dec 4 03:08:00 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  we have a tree with a forked low-hanging limb, so i'd put one leg over each fork, bent at the knee, and i'd swing upside down. i was just the right height to be able to pet the dog while hanging upside down. i had the ability to climb up further, but i just liked to swing. i didn't have a sap problem though, but there were ants occasionally.

misszero Posted: Sat Dec 5 07:57:54 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i fell out of about a billion trees when i was a kid. chronic climber. but every couple of months i'd climb much higher in our liquidamber than i (or the tree) could really handle. Like, a good storey and a bit or so. i could look down on the roof. then i'd spend half an hour panicking about how to get down. goooooooood times. (also, managed to only break bones 3 or 4 times. not a bad record really, for a kid who was climbing into the sink at 8 months. and into a wall mounted dryer while nude and wet at 15. hrm. this is possibly what gave my parents early grey hair....)

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Dec 5 11:13:30 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I remember this poem. It was used in the movie Here on Earth with Kris Klein and Leelee Sobieski.

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Dec 5 11:14:15 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:
>i fell out of about a billion trees when i was a kid. chronic climber. but every couple of months i'd climb much higher in our liquidamber than i (or the tree) could really handle. Like, a good storey and a bit or so. i could look down on the roof. then i'd spend half an hour panicking about how to get down. goooooooood times. (also, managed to only break bones 3 or 4 times. not a bad record really, for a kid who was climbing into the sink at 8 months. and into a wall mounted dryer while nude and wet at 15. hrm. this is possibly what gave my parents early grey hair....)
>
MMMMM . . . misszero nude and all wet !

ehwazingwaz Posted: Sat Dec 5 21:11:12 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>misszero said:
>>i fell out of about a billion trees when i was a kid. chronic climber. but every couple of months i'd climb much higher in our liquidamber than i (or the tree) could really handle. Like, a good storey and a bit or so. i could look down on the roof. then i'd spend half an hour panicking about how to get down. goooooooood times. (also, managed to only break bones 3 or 4 times. not a bad record really, for a kid who was climbing into the sink at 8 months. and into a wall mounted dryer while nude and wet at 15. hrm. this is possibly what gave my parents early grey hair....)
>>
>MMMMM . . . misszero nude and all wet !

woo hoo! party!

misszero Posted: Mon Dec 7 06:30:15 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  wait, at 15 months i was in the dryer. hrm.
point of the story, climbing rules.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]