Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Chia Pets and Snuggies
Kira Posted: Sun Dec 5 23:29:33 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ...are some of the lame gifts we buy for the people who are the subject of this thread. Or to put it more simply:

Who is your hardest person to shop for? Father who has everything, sibling with expensive taste, co-worker who has no definable interests?

mat_j Posted: Wed Dec 8 07:28:15 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'd have to say the buffet Lutheran, self sufficient, Crystaline entity that's taken up residence in my garage is far and away the most difficult individual to buy for, even though we've established a one jingle is yes and 2 is no system of communication.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 8 14:05:27 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Anyone ever seen a Chia Obama ?

sweet p Posted: Wed Dec 8 16:51:01 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My momma is the most difficult giftee. She dislikes for me to spend any money on her. I think this is mostly because she is very specific about the things she likes, but will never tell anybody what they are, so it'll never be right. She doesn't want me/anyone who gives her the gift to waste their money on something she doesn't want anyway, and then she doesn't have to feel bad about accepting the gift she doesn't want. And she tends to have expensive taste.
sigh.

Puck Posted: Wed Dec 8 19:42:58 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm passing out tins full of baked tastiness to the more significant households. And my sister's kids are getting my old toys and books. Easy year for me.

Except the my bro requested white choco covered pretzels and oreos. With him living in NYC, I had hoped he'd want something challenging. And so I think I might try my hand at making pretzels and fauxreos.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 8 21:14:47 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  No Kidding
https://www.americanchia.com/flare/next

Kira Posted: Thu Dec 9 00:01:06 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My father's interests are confined to poker, science news and political news. He has enough poker books and is full up on subscriptions to his favorite science/political magazines.

Oh and Dave Barry - I've gotten him like fifteen Dave Barry calendars and books over the years.

This year I asked my mother, what should I get him?

"Well, I've got a Dave Barry calendar in the closet you can give him if you want."

I didn't know what to say to this, so I said nothing. I think I'll get him a flashlight.

Kira Posted: Thu Dec 9 00:10:27 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Not really impossible to shop for but I also find myself brainstorming on what to get my little brother because I don't actually get him anything he wants. I always get him books. But I go out of my way to get him books I think he might like. If he ever actually READS them.

choke Posted: Thu Dec 9 05:29:54 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My siblings keep growing up whenever I go away and I always get them things that they liked before I left. Sigh.

mat_j Posted: Thu Dec 9 07:11:36 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I keep a coded present section at the back of my notebooks, which is mostly filled with gift ideas for my lady friend, but also comes in handy for my family too and occasionally a tour de force gift for a friend like when i found a heavy metal colouring and work book for former GTer Paulo's birthday this year.

It's weird because i can always find something for the elder of my two sisters because we have broadly the same likes and interests but struggle a bit more getting something for my younger sister (though i can usually resolve it)

My father and step father are easier as an award winning book and some top shelf booze (or for that matter some award winning booze or a top shelf book. haha! ...? ok, nobody? no.).

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Dec 9 07:38:35 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>My father's interests are confined to poker, science news and political news. He has enough poker books and is full up on subscriptions to his favorite science/political magazines.
>
>Oh and Dave Barry - I've gotten him like fifteen Dave Barry calendars and books over the years.
>
>This year I asked my mother, what should I get him?
>
>"Well, I've got a Dave Barry calendar in the closet you can give him if you want."
>
>I didn't know what to say to this, so I said nothing. I think I'll get him a flashlight.
>
You can now get Dave's World on DVD.
Was he a fan of that show ?

Kira Posted: Thu Dec 9 11:50:47 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>You can now get Dave's World on DVD.
>Was he a fan of that show ?

He did like that show. What a good idea!

Ahriman Posted: Thu Dec 9 15:35:43 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like giving useful things to people. Pocket knives, headlamps, emergency gear, ceramic mugs, etc.

The best kinds of gifts are the ones that don't matter till you need them. Then you get the "Oh by the way, thanks for that..." six months later, when the situation arises and it saved the day.

Not to say that I don't shop around for that special piece of jewelry for that special someone ;)

addi Posted: Mon Dec 13 16:20:07 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:

>The best kinds of gifts are the ones that don't matter till you need them. Then you get the "Oh by the way, thanks for that..." six months later, when the situation arises and it saved the day.

sounds like a condom would make a perfect gift for you, Ahri.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Dec 15 12:12:36 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My mom has insanely expensive tastes and doesn't want presents. She loves complicated jigsaw puzzles so that is what I got her.

My dad is silent most of the time and enjoys goofy prank/gag type gifts. He's obsessed with coffee and sports so I got him a mug made by a local artist.

My siblings are growing up and since I don't really talk to any of them I don't know much about them. I got them gift cards.

I got puckster a giant kitchen mixer :D early. I think he likes it :P

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]